In Heathrow’s latest bid to drive growth in the UK’s great cities and regions, new advertisements featuring Northern Ireland go live today across all the terminals at the UK’s only hub.
The six-week partnership with Invest Northern Ireland is part of a year-long campaign seeking to drive foreign direct investment across all of the UK. It is a unique opportunity for Northern Ireland to showcase why it is open for business and a great place to invest, work and live to the airport’s 22 million annual business travellers.
The Northern Ireland advertisements at Heathrow highlight the benefits the region offers to investors including its educated agile workforce and strength in the tech sector.
Serving more than 180 global destinations, Heathrow connects to Belfast City Airport with 9 daily services transporting almost 700,000 passengers annually between Northern Ireland and the UK’s only hub. The Belfast City route is also Heathrow’s busiest for domestic cargo, with over 270,000 kg of high-value Northern Irish exports travelling through Heathrow on their way to clients around the world.
Director of Communications at Invest Northern Ireland, Peter Harbinson said:
“Northern Ireland has proven to be a top performing region for new FDI in the UK and almost 80 percent of our existing investors have reinvested. The opportunity at Heathrow is a great platform to make even more business travellers aware of our offering.”
Heathrow CEO John Holland-Kaye said:
“As the UK’s only hub airport, Heathrow is our front door for global investors. I hope that by encouraging them to visit and invest in Northern Ireland, we can help to grow businesses and create jobs in the region.”
The advertisements can be viewed in the downloads section in the right-hand column.
Notes to Editors:
- Over the past year, Heathrow has committed over £7 million worth of advertising at the airport to promote both tourism and foreign direct investment across the whole of the UK
- In 2014-15, there were 1,773 FDI projects in the UK creating or safeguarding 111,361 jobs (UKTI)
- Heathrow is partnering with organisations across the UK on this initiative including;
- North East LEP
- Invest Northern Ireland
- Leeds City Region LEP
- Glasgow City Marketing Bureau
- West of England LEP
- Each participating city or region has been offered £500,000 worth of advertising space over a six-week advertising burst across digital platforms in all Heathrow terminals, prime poster locations at the airport and exhibition space in arrivals halls. The North East, Northern Ireland, Leeds, Glasgow, Cardiff and Bristol will all feature in the campaign
- As the region’s business development agency, Invest NI's role is to grow the local economy by attracting new investment to Northern Ireland and by helping new and existing businesses to compete internationally.